Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Elder Winters - July 9, 2012

Hello everybody.  I just got my hair cut and I'm feeling fine.  Seriously, the weather is getting up to a record 84 degrees over here, so this was much needed.  Today is transfer day, so after much biting of the fingernails, we found out that the Asian zone is staying the same.  Actually, our zone leader called in and said, "Elder Winters, you're getting transferred to an English area."  It took my mind about five seconds to realize he was joking.  A very long five seconds.  No worries, my heart resumed beating and I'm still in the Chinese program.  Our temporary Elder Wang gets released tomorrow, so it'll be six more weeks with myself and the other Elder Wang until Elder Li from Japan arrives.  Very few surprises here, at least when it comes to transfers.  

On the other hand, there are a ton of surprises when you're out finding people to teach.  For example, yesterday we were out knocking and we happened to knock on the door of this Taiwanese lady.  She opened the door with one hand and had about 5 or 6 "full" diapers in the other. She said, "Uh, I'm a little busy right now.  Maybe next time would be better."  It was hard to not start laughing before she closed the door.  Aside for that, one dinner this past week I got a fortune cookie with a rather startling fortune inside: "Love is around the corner."  I certainly hope not.  Unless it is talking about Christlike charity, which I have no problem with.

I've been studying a bit about personal revelation lately.  It's interesting to me when Nephi points out that if you "receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do."  Also, if we are careful to pray often about the things we do, God "will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul."  I have also heard from Elder David A. Bednar that the majority of spiritual promptings that we receive will just come out of efforts of trying to be a "good boy."  Some may even go unnoticed by us.  I know even if I receive a prompting to be at a certain place knocking on doors at a certain time and all we get to do is talk to a lady holding half a dozen diapers, that work will still be consecrated because it was exactly where the Lord wanted us to be.  If you look at where you are in life and see that it's hard, ask yourself if you're doing what the Lord wants you to be doing.  If the answer is yes, you have nothing to worry about.  Just press on with that confidence, and that work and those trials will be consecrated for you as you become the person Heavenly Father wants you to become.  The mission is awesome, you all are awesome, and the gospel is awesome.  Have an awesome week.

- Elder Winters


No comments:

Post a Comment