Monday, July 30, 2012

Elder Winters - July 30, 2012

Hey everybody.  Welcome to another week in the mission life.  I was just at the grocery store and this very old Taiwanese lady walks by us, reads my nametag, and in very broken English says, "You..you...you...can...." and then my companion cuts her off and says "Yes, he can speak Chinese" in Chinese.  Then she asks what church we're from.  I say, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."  She goes, "Oh.  I'm Christian. My least favorite church is the Mormons." Me: "We are Mormons."  Her: "Mormons don't believe in Jesus Christ."  Me: "We believe in Jesus Christ." Her: "Mormons don't believe in the Bible." Me: "We believe in the Bible."  Her: "My least favorite church is the Mormons." Me: "Do you like us?" After which she cackles just like the old lady in the scary Avatar: The Last Airbender bloodbending episode and then walks away.  THAT was funny.  In actuality, I think she did like us.

Anyway, aside from talking with old Chinese ladies, there have been some fun and awesome stuff going on around here.  One of them being we found an amazing investigator!  Guo Tongxue.  She's awesome.  She made it through three hours of church like a pro and the branch was super helpful in making her feel at home, as always.  We found her while contacting her at UCI, just as we were about to walk over to our car.  Lesson learned is don't give up, even when walking over to your car (or bike).  I like to think that I've been being blessed with boldness lately (I'm just trying to become like my sister Becca).  In our first lesson we had with Guo Tongxue, she said she didn't believe in God.  I said, much to my own surprise: "Well, Heavenly Father is there, whether you believe in him or not."  At the end of the lesson, she was so willing to say a prayer.  She even set up a baptismal date!  Awesome stuff.  We were incredibly blessed to find her.  Great stuff is going on, and prayers are being answered.  

In even more spiritual news, we had a cool lesson with a recent convert family.  Their eight-year-old son has been reading scripture like a maniac.  He's even been reading a lot in the Bible lately (and I'm pretty sure it's got to be at least equally as hard in Chinese as it is in English).  I asked him if he liked reading scriptures, after which he nodded his head very rapidly.  Then I asked, "Why?" It took him a little while to answer.  Finally, he said, "Well, this is Jesus Christ's Church, so we should do the things Jesus Christ says."  Such a simple but powerful answer caught me off guard.  I almost got a little teary-eyed from his answer and received a better testimony of why Jesus Christ taught that we should become as a little child in order to enter into the kingdom of heaven.  Amazing.  Simply enough, I know that what he said is true.  And Jesus Christ said to preach His gospel, and that's what I'm doing.  It's the best!

Have an awesome week.

- Elder DBW

No comments:

Post a Comment