Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Elder Winters - April 29, 2012


Hello everybody, I hope all is well wherever you are.  To my friends who just had exams, I hope you did well, or at least feel you did well.  If not, you may feel better by the thought that you will have most of them out of the way by the time I get back.  

California has been treating us well lately.  We moved over to Irvine, where most of our work at the moment is centered, so that means less driving and less ghettoness for us, because Irvine is the quintessential suburbia.  The weather continues to not do anything out of the ordinary, and the work continues to go on.

In somewhat exciting news, we went to the headquarters for Blizzard Entertainment today for our preparation day, taking a tour of the place with a member in our branch.  They are the makers of the big MMORPGs, FPSs, SATs, CVSs, IHOPs, and any other combination of capital letters you can imagine.  No, seriously speaking, they created the games like Starcraft, World of Warcraft, and Diablo that every middle schooler gets hooked on these days.  Personally I haven't played any of them, but seeing as my district is all Koreans except for me, I was mandated to go.  It turned out to be pretty cool.  Though it was almost entirely just buildings of offices and a small museum, it was fun to look at everything.  If you don't have several hundred orc action figures on your desk here, you are pretty much the odd one out.  All of the cubicles were completely decked out with video game paraphernalia.  My perspective changed actually changed from seeing it all as a bunch of highly addicting computer games to an intense medium of art.  I'm not sure if I'll ever play them, but the games have now earned my respect.

In more spiritually uplifting news, we've had the chance to teach many of our branch members the message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ this week.  Even though some of these people have been hearing it their entire lives, it is always a spiritual experience to have a refresher course.  As we taught it many times, I felt my own testimony of it grow stronger.  It made me think about what blessings the Restoration has brought in my own life - the knowledge that we are led by a prophet, that we once again have priesthood authority, and we have precious and simple truths that were lost, such as the nature of the Godhead.  I know that the message we share is true, otherwise I wouldn't be putting in two years to share it.  I also know the prophet who called me is a true prophet, or else he wouldn't have called someone like me to try to teach people in Chinese by the power of the Holy Ghost.  It's all true, and it's blessed my life when I live according to what I know.

Have an awesome week.

Elder Daniel Winters

No comments:

Post a Comment