Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Elder Winters - May 7, 2012


各位弟兄姐妹們,大家好。It's been a great week full of unexpected happenings that have all been exciting and interesting.  One of these happenings was a surprise two-day exchange (48 hours) with my district leader, who speaks Korean and knows maybe four words in Chinese.  Needless to say, it was an exciting two days.  It made me realize how much I really love my companion, and maybe even more love his ability to speak Chinese fluently.  All in all, it was a much-needed experience that has increased my desire to become better in Chinese.

Another exciting experience may have been when we taught one of our older investigators this week (he's around 80 or so).  His hearing's not too great, so it was pretty hilarious to see my companion practically shouting at him about getting baptized and believing in Jesus Christ.  After that, he brought up his concern that if he got baptized, he would have to shave his head just like the Buddhist monks do.  Needless to say, we were a little surprised at this and I hope we resolved that concern in a diplomatic way (for any non-LDS readers out there, we don't require baptismal candidates to shave their heads).  After the lesson he took us to a Japanese restaurant where they served me what seemed like half a raw salmon.  I asked my companion why Asians eat fish raw.  He said that there a certain nutrients that are cooked away when you fry or boil them.  Those have better been some darn good nutrients, because I'm not sure it was worth eating it.  Anyway, during our lunch chat, our investigator told me that I was handsome, so that naturally made me feel willing to eat any number of raw fish for the guy.  What a nice man.

On a more spiritual note, I know that the things I teach are true.  I haven't had any huge manifestation that they are, but I feel the Holy Spirit testifying through me every time I teach those truths.  This work is true, and I wouldn't rather do anything else right now.

Have an awesome week.

Elder Daniel Winters

No comments:

Post a Comment