Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Elder Winters - February 18, 2013 Year of the Worm


Hey everyone, and Happy Chinese New Year still and Valentine's Day not anymore and Presidents' Day today.  I'm not sure that sentence made sense, but I'm still going with it.  The fact of the matter is Chinese New Year is still going on (it's traditionally 15 days long), but without the major partying.  

I'll share with you a bit of the week and then I'll let you enjoy the rest of your holiday.  It was a pretty major bummer as far as bummers go this week, as I was sick again (bronchitis) and it seemed that investigators had more important things going on than hearing a very hoarse missionary.  But I learned something. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself at one point and then I remembered the story of Ammon.  I have always thought it impressive how Ammon chopped off the Lamanites' arms, but this time something else from the story grabbed my attention.  When Ammon sees the Lamanites coming and the servants around him are all crying, he's over there rejoicing for an opportunity to see a miracle.  That's awesome faith, if you ask me.  So then I thought of things that I could do within my power instead of wallowing in self-pity.  I remembered Whose work it is, and I thought that I could please Him as long as I was doing the best I could.  I know that's the main point of pretty much every movie or book that has to do with missionary work, but I think I learned it, or at least got a better understanding of it for reals this time.  So that was cool.

One quick funny thing.  Near the end of the week members took us out to eat to a Chinese restaurant.  When I was eating my Chinese salad, I discovered a very petite worm on one of the leaves.  My natural reaction was, of course, "what the heck is this doing here."  i told the members, who said to tell the waiter, whom I did.  I was expecting him to at least be like, "I'm so terribly sorry, have all of these dishes for free."  But what he really did was inspect my salad, picked up the worm with my chopsticks, and then popped it in his mouth and ATE IT!  Okay, just kidding.  What he really did was say, "Oh.  We'll get you a clean one."  So they took away my plate and chopsticks and the rest of the salad, and then I got a fresh plate and chopsticks.  The moral of the story is, if you ever find a bug in your dish in an Asian restaurant, don't show it to the  waiter because he'll take away your food.  

Well, that's about it.  It's been a good week.  I know that this is the Lord's work, and He's directing it, even without us knowing sometimes.  It's so great being out here.

Have a sweet week everyone.

-E DBW


.

[He was digging in with gusto before he saw the worm!]


No comments:

Post a Comment