Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Elder Daniel Winters - January 3, 2012

Hello everybody and Happy New Year.  I hope your countdown was considerably more exciting than mine, seeing as I just went to bed at 10:30 as usual and didn't even do a countdown to bedtime.  I also didn't remember it was the new year until another elder asked me the next morning if I had stayed up til 12.  I wondered why anyone in their right minds would do that if they had to wake up at 6:30 in the morning, and then it hit me.  So, happy 2012 everyone, and don't think about what might happen later on in the year on December 21.
 
I suppose I should write a little concerning Chinese.  It is coming surely and steadily, and hopefully some goals we've set for the new year will help boost that progess.  I hope to be able to talk somewhat fluently with my teacher by the time I leave.  I don't think I've mentioned this, but my instructor unfortunatley happens to be very fit, so along with speaking Chinese with him I hope to be able to keep up with him in the pushups he makes us do in order to stimulate blood flow into our brains so that we can learn Chinese better.  Right now, though, that seems hopeless.
 
That brings me to my state of fitness.  I had a dream last night wherein I took off my shirt, looked in the mirror, and to my horror I was 200 pounds heavier.  Seriously, fat drooping down over my waistline.  Imagine Dudley Dursley in the fourth Harry Potter book, and that was me.  I actually in my dream was so shocked that I wrote down "go jogging" in my daily planner for something to do during gym time so I could lose the weight quickly.  Upon waking up and seeing myself only a little bit as overweight in my dream, I concluded that I might be safe with still sticking with four square.  One can only hope that I have not become a person capable of receiving premonitions. 
 
On a more spiritual note, I'd like to mention something about the grace of Christ. 
I think we may sometime take this for granted because He is so willing to give it to us if we but repent and strive to be more like Him.  Our Heavenly Father needed someone this perfect and selfless in order to accomplish His plan.  Thank goodness Jesus Christ was willing and loving and perfect enough to give us this great and wonderfully free gift of which we can partake.  I'd like to invite you all to sincerely thank Him for this in a prayer today.  It is the whole reason we can actually progress and gain joy in this life.  I hope you all have some time to ponder that today.
 
Have a great start to this new year everyone, you all are great.
 
Elder Winters
 

No comments:

Post a Comment